William D. Greenlee Scholarship
The William D. Greenlee Scholarship was founded by Greenlee Partners to honor William (Bill) Greenlee, founder of the firm. Mr. Greenlee had more than 45 years experience in government, public relations and journalism. Early in his career he worked as a print, radio and TV reporter which led to his involvement in politics and government.
In 1980 he founded Greenlee Associates, a prominent lobbying and business strategies firm with offices in Harrisburg, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. In 2000, the firm’s name was changed to Greenlee Partners.
Among his numerous accomplishments throughout his vast and elaborate career, Mr. Greenlee’s was most proud of his service to the community through a number of local charities including serving as the Chair of the Board of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education Foundation. The William D. Greenlee Scholarship is a fitting tribute to a gentleman who gave generously of himself to help others.
- Applicants must be enrolled as full-time undergraduate students at one of the 14 Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education universities majoring in political science, journalism or communications.
- Applicant must reside in Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Franklin, Lebanon, Northumberland, Perry or York counties.
- Applicants must have earned 60 credits or more with a GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Demonstrated financial need based on standard need analysis from the Free Application for Federal Student Aid may be given preference.
Number of Awards and Amount Awarded
- For 2017-18 academic year, two (2) $2,500 scholarships are available. Scholarships recipients will be awarded $1,250 per semester providing they are full-time students and maintain the required 3.0 GPA. These scholarships are one-time awards and recipients are eligible to receive funding for one year only.
- Complete the William D. Greenlee Scholarship Application.
- Submit two written references: one reference from a professor in the applicant’s area of study and one personal reference from an individual not related to the applicant.
- Include an essay of approximately 500 words (maximum 700) on the following quote: “Knowing what's right doesn't mean much unless you do what's right.” (Theodore Roosevelt)
- An official transcript must be submitted with the application.
- Send the completed application, two references, essay and an official transcript to:
PA State System Foundation
Attn: Eileen Showers
2986 North 2nd Street
Harrisburg, PA 17110
Internship opportunities at the Greenlee Partners State Street Office in Harrisburg may be available to scholarship applicants.
- Send thank you note to Greenlee Partners via the PA State System Foundation.
- Attend the PA State System Foundation Scholarship Donor Appreciation Luncheon.
All application packets must be postmarked no later than May 26, 2017.
The selection committee is comprised of a representative from Greenlee Partners, one State System appointee, two members of the PA State System Foundation’s Scholarship Committee and the Foundation’s Director of Scholarship Programs. The committee will review, evaluate and select the winners from all eligible applications received. The scholarship recipients and their universities will be notified by the Foundation.